Route 66 Mother Road Festival Burnout Contest - Rules & Tech Info
Saturday, September 22, 2018 | 7th & Washington Street | Downtown Springfield, IL - 2:00 pm
Sign up to compete on-site at the main stage or at the burnout contest itself. Competition will take place at 7th & Washington.
Top 3 places receive trophies. Other prizes TBD.
All cars must complete tech inspection a minimum of 30 minutes prior to each contest at pit area.
Saturday, September 22nd | 2:00 pm
Prizes and/or trophies will be awarded after contest.
- All vehicles must be in good condition inside and out. No wrecked or missing body parts.
- If welding has been performed on chassis or suspension and shows any evidence of deterioration, vehicles will not be allowed to compete.
- No fluid leaks of any type are permitted.
- All nitrous bottles must be unhooked.
- All vehicles must be equipped with seat belts and they must be worn.
- All vehicles must be powered by gasoline or diesel fuel.
- No alcohol or drugs permitted. This policy will be strictly enforced and presence of alcohol or drugs will automatically disqualify the driver and vehicle from competition. Any participant who refuses to take a Breathalyzer test, or fails test, will be disqualified immediately by Tech Inspector.
- Participants must wear long pants and a sleeved shirt.
- Helmets are highly recommended
- All decisions of the Tech Inspector are final.
Vehicles Allowed in Contest:
- Participation in the Burnout contest is limited to vehicles which are either stock configuration or tubbed as defined below:
- Manual (Stick) Transmissions are Prohibited!
- Must be a licensed driver and at least 18 years of age to participate in contest.
- Stock chassis or tubbed vehicles are allowed.
- Superchargers are not allowed. (Exception is OEM or approved aftermarket supercharger or turbocharger.)
- Brakes on each vehicle will be tested for pedal “feel”. A running brake test may be requested. All brake pedals must be covered with a non-skid surface. Line locks are recommended.
- Each vehicle must be equipped with 1 operative shock absorber for each sprung wheel. Shocks may be either hydraulic or friction type and in operative order. Vehicles may be lowered.
- Only D.O.T. approved tires are allowed. No retreads or studs allowed. Street tires must have at least 1/8” tread depth across the entire width of the tire. D.O.T street slicks are allowed, but wear indicators must be present and tires must be marked D.O.T. Tires must be free of all defects, cuts, and dry rot. Metal screw-in valve stems or valve stem retainers are recommended. Snap-on hubcaps must be removed.
- Family Events reserves the right to refuse admittance to any vehicle that Family Events feels is unsafe for any reason.
- The vehicle must have drive shaft loops if the bumper height is 25” or higher. Each drive shaft must have a minimum of 2 loops. If a vehicle has a shaft no longer than 24”, 1 loop, properly centered, will suffice. Drive shaft loops must be rigidly mounted to frame rails or to the floor on both sides of shaft. (Four Wheel Drive only.)
- Drive to the front wheels must be disengaged. (Four Wheel Drive only.)
- All vehicles must be in good condition inside and out. No wrecked or missing body parts. Vehicles must have street legal appearance, with fender wells.
- If welding has been performed on chassis or suspension and shows any evidence of deterioration, vehicle will not be allowed to compete.
- All vehicles must be powered only by gasoline or diesel fuel.
Operation of Burnout Contest:
- After completing tech inspection and signing waivers, the driver is to take his/her vehicle to the Burnout area. No Passengers Allowed!
- Before staging, the driver must secure helmet, and seat belt.
- When the vehicle has been staged, the starter will ask for a “thumbs up” to indicate the driver is ready. Starter will activate timer and participant will have a minimum of 30 seconds to complete burnout. All vehicles will be given the same amount of time. After the horn is blown, the participant must stop immediately. Failure to stop will result in an automatic disqualification.
- Winners are determined by crowd response.
- The first competitor will have the option to run again without alteration to the vehicle.